Monday, February 23, 2009

Kindergarten Conversations


son: Mom I want to be God one day

Me: Oh yeah? What would you do?

son: I would put all the angels to work planting grass and growing trees....

Me: Is that what they do?

son: And I would turn up the rain to make it grow. He has a big bowl that He pours out.

(pause) Or maybe it's like a shower.


He went on with his musings...but I got lost trying to see through his eyes. Who was this God he hears so much about? What does He really mean to my son?
Do I really have MY mind made up about who God is to me?
I know that I am loved, I know I was sacrificed for....valued enough to give up So much for...even His only Son.

I hear His voice from time to time, whether in written words, or through the heart of a friend, the prayer of my hubby, or in a quiet still moment.
But those audible times seem far between and I am left to get to know this Friend, this Lover over my soul, this Provider, this King, all on my own.
He can't speak to a heart who is not listening....He can't give to one who's arms are not outreaching, waiting.
I think God does have a bowl, and He dumps His mercy on me everyday....in SO many ways so that I might pay attention..........
But then He turns on the shower, and His ways are gentle....not dowsing my soul....
not inundating my thoughts......
but patient and waiting for ME to call on Him...
but still ever present.
No none of us could ever be God. But we could certainly draw close enough to see Him.
And I do see Him...even in the wonderings of my son-
because I know that he can meet the same God I have come to love, desired as my own, whom I long to serve with my every breathe.
He's not just a one woman God....He's big enough even for Kindergarteners.

3 comments:

MommyDesiree said...

I love this. It's perfect and so honest and heartfelt. You and your kids never cease to amaze me.
First girl with laying the hands then kindergartner with this....what a might God we serve....

I need the bowl this week....

Maritez said...

That was so sweet! I love the thought of the shower...Him sprinkling us little by little, giving us just as much as we can handle :)

Jennifer P. said...

Out of the mouths of babes....

Sounds like he knows more than a lot of people about God by simply believing He is there and in control. So precious!

THank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog. I sure appreciate them!