Sunday, October 25, 2009

Are you Salty?

The drive to Salt Lake City is BOR-ING.....
.....and they know it too.....check out these signs:
Drowsy drivers are warned all along the way....and even encouraged to pull over!
Well for us Northern Californians....it's a 10.5 hour drive on paper....but we did it in 12 hours with pit stops and coffee runs.


As a family, we LOVE road trips so that wasn't a problem. But I certainly wasn't prepared for the strange sights.....good Ol Maggie (our Magellan) showed us driving through a Lake for like 60 miles!

And all around us appeared to be either water or very moist ground. Doesn't it feel lunar...with just a touch more color?
Welcome to the Salt Flats.
Toward the end we just had to pull over and check out the texture.
Would we sink? Was it pure salt?
Many other curious folks had left their marks.....daring to drive out onto the smooth surfaces....or to make rock formations.
Our marks were primitive but personal.
....and the texture? Like stiff, wet sand. But dustier. It coated our shoes and you can see how my heels sunk in when I lost my balance.
We didn't see actual water for miles.
It was SO interesting! Those crazy Utonians....they're surrounded by this stuff.
Can you imagine all this salted earth...landlocked.
Simply odd.
And so began our journey into Salt Lake City. But you'll have to go to our family blog to read more about that.
:D
PS- they obviously don't have a problem with Mark 9:50....."Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves and live in peace with each other."
God likes salt....it's in you, it's in me....and He put it ALL over the earth.
To my detriment. I love to eat it.......
and I even walked on it!
.....I just can't stop pondering the stuff.
Hmm...I feel a Bible Study/History Lesson coming on :)

1 comment:

Cindy B said...

Fun! I'm headed over to the "real" blog. I can't wait to read about it!